- Credibly Accused Clergy
- Canonical Reviews
Director of Public Affairs
Associate Director of Communications
Update on Case Involving Father Eduard Perrone, April 13, 2021
The Archdiocese of Detroit offered an update on the case of Reverend Eduard Perrone
Clarification on cases involving Fr. Eduard Perrone, August 12, 2020
The recently settled civil lawsuit filed by Fr. Perrone and the canonical (Church law) review initiated last year involving Fr. Perrone are two separate processes. For now, Father remains restricted from all public ministry.
Regarding the Catholic Bishop Abuse Reporting System, March 16, 2020
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops this week launched the Catholic Bishop Abuse Reporting System (CBAR), a means of implementing the requirements of Pope Francis’ 2019 apostolic letter, Vos estis lux mundi (“You are the light of the world”).
Regarding court appearance by former priest, Neal Kalina, August 27, 2019
The Archdiocese of Detroit offered a statement in response to a former priest's preliminary exam in 41-A District Court in Shelby Township.
Regarding abuse claims against a Detroit priest and others who served in southeast Michigan, July 30, 2019
The Archdiocese of Detroit offered a statement in response to abuse claims made against a Detroit priest, other clergy members and a lay person who served in southeast Michigan.
Statement Regarding Reverend Richard T. Brown, July 21, 2019
Fr. Brown, born in 1941 and a priest of the Dallas diocese, had been in the Detroit area circa 1997-2002. The Dallas diocese lists his status as “absent on leave,” and says his priestly/public ministry was restricted in 2002.
Statement Regarding Reverend Robert Spangenberg CSSp, July 21, 2019
Fr. Spangenerg is listed on the Pennsylvania Grand Jury report on page 769. No allegations against him were brought to the Archdiocese of Detroit.
Statement Regarding Reverend Reverend Ronald Yarrosh, PIME, July 21, 2019
Fr. Yarrosh is listed on the Pennsylvania Grand Jury report on page 18. No allegations against him were brought to the Detroit archdiocese.
Regarding Father Eduard Perrone, July 7, 2019
Father Eduard Perrone, pastor of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Grotto) Parish, has been restricted from all public ministry following an allegation involving sexual abuse of a minor.
Regarding Father Joseph (Jack) Baker, June 20, 2019
Father Joseph (Jack) Baker, pastor of St. Perpetua Parish in Waterford, has been restricted from all public ministry following an allegation involving sexual abuse of a minor.
Archbishop Vigneron highlights lay involvement in praise for USCCB votes strengthening accountability for bishops accused of misconduct, June 14, 2019
During the last day of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ (USCCB) June 11-13 gathering in Baltimore, the bishops voted to implement a series of measures to strengthen accountability and reporting protocols in cases of bishops accused of committing sexual misconduct or shielding abusers.
"This series of procedures is a major step in our work to establish clear protocols for the reporting and processing of accusations against bishops who abuse children and vulnerable adults or who shield abusers," Archbishop Vigneron said following the votes.
Regarding Reverends Patrick Casey, Lawrence Ventline and Neil Kalina, PIME, May 24, 2019
The Archdiocese of Detroit deeply regrets the pain inflicted upon victim-survivors, and offers continued prayers for their peace, healing and pursuit of justice.
In response to the Michigan Attorney General’s update today, we offer the following information:
Response to Holy Father's Global Rules for Reporting Abuse, May 9, 2019
Archbishop Vigneron welcomed Pope Francis' clear directives for universal accountability in response to the horrors of clergy sexual abuse.
"I stand ready and eager to implement the Holy Father’s directives and to continue advancing our local efforts to eradicate the crime and sins of sexual abuse from the Church," Vigneron said in a statement. "We will hold accountable for their actions all those who would cause harm – no matter their position in the Church."
Archbishop: This Lent, we continue the arduous journey toward healing and reconciliation, March 18, 2019
"We must remain vigilant and intolerant of anyone who harms children or vulnerable adults," Archbishop Vigneron wrote in a Lenten column addressed to Catholics of the Archdiocese of Detroit. "This work to root out evil in our Church is our priority; we must, as Christ taught, pray and fast to fight the poison of evil in the Church. Similarly, we must embrace all the actions needed to ensure the protection of our children and vulnerable adults."
Archdiocese of Detroit Responds to Michigan Attorney General Update on Investigation into Michigan Catholic Dioceses, Feb. 21, 2019
The Archdiocese of Detroit appreciates the Attorney General’s Office for providing an update regarding its investigation, and offers a few points of clarification.
Vatican summit on the Protection of Minors in the Church, Feb. 21-24, 2019
In anticipation of the Vatican summit on sexual abuse, Archbishop Vigneron shared a message of support and commitment to healing for victim-survivors.
Response to laicization of Theodore McCarrick, February 16, 2019
In response to the Holy See’s announcement that Theodore McCarrick, former Archbishop of Washington, has been dismissed from the clerical state, Archbishop Vigneron joined the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) in affirming that no one is exempt from being held accountable for their actions.
Response to resignation of Sr. Mary Finn, HVM, January 18, 2019
Archbishop Vigneron supported the decision of Sacred Heart Major Seminary to accept the resignation of Sr. Mary Finn, HVM from the seminary faculty.
God is on our side: Advent interview and letter to the faithful, December 10, 2018
Archbishop Vigneron reflected on the story of the Wise Men and the star in his Advent letter to the faithful, which was mailed to all registered households in the Archdiocese. He then sat down with Detroit Catholic to discuss the letter, the Church's response to clergy abuse, and his hope for healing in the New Year.
USCCB 2018 Fall General Assembly, November 12-15, 2018
In anticipation of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) 2018 Fall General Assembly, Archbishop Vigneron released a message to the faithful in which he pledged seven days of "intensified prayer and fasting" from November 5-12.
God Wants His Church Back: Homily at Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament on Clergy Abuse, October 7, 2018
Update on Michigan Attorney General Investigation, October 3, 2018
The Archdiocese of Detroit cooperated fully with law enforcement officials executing a search warrant for clergy files, as part of the Attorney General investigation into the handling of clergy sexual abuse allegations in Michigan’s seven Catholic dioceses. Such search warrants are an expected part of this process.
Responses to Attorney General investigation, September 21, 2018
Archbishop Vigneron has released a letter to the faithful, which will be read at weekend Masses September 22-23, affirming his support of the Attorney General’s investigation and sharing prayers for the healing of victim-survivors.
- Read letter to the faithful from Archbishop Vigneron (English)
- Read letter to the faithful from Archbishop Vigneron (Spanish)
The Archdiocese of Detroit welcomes the Attorney General's investigation into the handling of clergy sexual abuse allegations in the seven Michigan Catholic dioceses.
Response to USCCB statement on actions addressing clergy sexual abuse, September 20, 2018
Archbishop Vigneron supports the United States Conference of Catholic Bishop's (USCCB) list of actions addressing clergy sexual abuse, and pledges to use the committee’s statement as inspiration for further discernment on archdiocesan policies.
Wounds Only Christ Can Heal: Homily at Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament on Clergy Abuse, September 9, 2018
In the Gospel reading (Mark 7: 31-37), Jesus heals the man who is deaf – his “ears were opened.” Referencing the latest reports of clergy sex abuse and predatory behavior in the Church, Archbishop Vigneron apologized to the victim-survivors and expressed his hope that the community, including himself, will remain “open” to hearing God speak and “open” to his providence in these challenging times.
Response to statement from Archbishop Viganò, August 27, 2018
In response to a testimony from the former Apostolic Nuncio to the United States, Archbishop Vigneron released a statement offering counsel “in the midst of this hour of difficulty.”
Response to letter from Pope Francis, August 20, 2018
In response to a letter from Pope Francis concerning sexual abuse of children in the Church, Archbishop Vigneron issued a message to the faithful urging all to read and reflect on the Holy Father’s words.
Archbishop Vigneron’s letters to the faithful and clergy, August 13, 2018
Archbishop Vigneron released letters to the faithful and clergy offering prayers for victims of clergy abuse and affirming the need for accountability among clergy, indicating that he would not tolerate a “double life” of any kind. The letters were written in anticipation of the release of a grand jury report on clergy abuse in Pennsylvania and in light of revelations of misconduct by former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick.
“My prayers today are with the victims of abuse at the hands of clergy worldwide, particularly those represented in the grand jury report in Pennsylvania. The allegations contained in that report, as well as recent allegations of sinful behavior involving former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick – regardless of when and where they happened – are daunting tests of faith for you in the Church, her leadership and our ongoing efforts towards abuse prevention and response.”
- Read letter to the faithful from Archbishop Vigneron: English | Español
- Read letter to the clergy from Archbishop Vigneron
The Archdiocese of Detroit places no deadlines or time limits on reporting the sexual abuse of minors by priests, deacons, and other personnel. Be it five, 15, or 50 years later, our diocese accepts and responds to all reports. To speak to the Victim Assistance Coordinator, Marge Huggard, LMSW, please call (866) 343-8055 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Ms. Huggard is a licensed social worker who works independently from the archdiocese to receive and respond to all complaints.